Wednesday, October 5, 2016

Bordeaux Oct 5, 2016 Wednesday

I'm here!  Today is my first full day in France.  I arrived at my hotel yesterday afternoon after the shortest long flight I've ever had--- thanks to Business class on a KLM flight (and my Swedie❤️). I could NOT believe the difference-- flying horizontal much of the way. ( fully flat  beds). Normally I'm in agony the whole way. This was a pain free trip.  And the luxury on this plane: our upper level cabin had only about 25 people w 2 flight attendants.  The seat next to me was Empty!  The space around me could have accommodated a couple more people. . . And there even were toiletries in the WC!  For the first time I was able to adjust to Europe the way my brother suggests: skip the nap when you arrive & go for a walk instead.  Since I didn't feel like I had been run over, I was able to get acquainted with the neighborhood, have an early meal, and pass out early (for over 10 hours).  I feel completely over jet lag today.  A miracle.

The hotel ( Bayonne Etche Ona-- Best Western) is in a super location & is excellent.  Thanks to Linda for the expert tips, I've walked around the area today & will take a small group tour of the Grand Theatre this afternoon (en francais😉) I am on my own until the group tour begins Friday at 5 pm so I am still considering options for how to spend the next 2 days.  It's a beautiful city. Just walking around was a pleasure.  I called Joni & chatted--- so fun to have a friend  in France. ( in Montpellier). I'll see her in a couple weeks.

 It was fun to stroll the streets, stop for coffee & lunch, and window shop.  But best was the people-watching and listening to the French. For the most part I have even been understood. 😉 A group of 6 Texans sat next to me at lunch and I was their translater for ordering.  Ha!

I'm heading out now for part 2 of my day:  tour of Grand Theatre and.... Who knows what else...
Until next time,
Jane

No comments:

Post a Comment