Sunday, June 25, 2023

Sunday, June 25 Amboise




 Today we went to my very favorite Château only 10 miles away: château Chenonceau. I went there when I was in high school and again when I spent a week in Tours. The group also loved this one. I think it’s the best. Fortunately, our guide had us go early so that we were the first people in the door this morning. We were ahead of the crowds and the heat. We had plenty of time to go on our own. Wonderful visit! 

We then returned to our hotel in Amboise.  I had a yummy galette / crêpe for lunch then a gelato. We had the afternoon free —or some people walked over to the small Château, where Leonardo da Vinci spent his last years. I actually would have enjoyed going, but I needed to take a couple hours to myself. So I cooled down in my room for a break from the heat. 90degrees + 

When we pack tonight, we have to pack one small overnight bag that we will take with us tomorrow when we arrive at mont-Saint-Michel for 1 overnight. Staying at the Mont is something I have looked forward to. I visited there before, but not to spend the night.

Our hotel had a wine tasting before dinner this afternoon, and then we were on our own for dinner & the evening.

It has made my day each time someone has complimented me on my French, and today it happened twice! Mostly it’s because I have good pronunciation, but my grammar stinks! But it still makes me happy.😀

With the Rick Steves tour, I find we have to get our own meals more often than with Road Scholar. That’s OK but it’s additional expenses along the way which are paid for upfront with Road Scholar. I found out that our tour guide has done many Road Scholar trips as well, as he’s a free lance tour guide. Interesting.  

We are very excited to go to cooler climate for the next few days. It should be in the 70s for the next few days and that is a far cry from the 90s! And that means we can wear different clothes! 😀  We are headed to Mont-Saint-Michel then Normandy.  Bon!



No comments:

Post a Comment