Sunday, October 26, 2014

Sunday Oct 26 Paris

I got to my hotel in Paris late yesterday afternoon, got settled, then had a bite to eat. I researched options for what to do today but went to bed undecided. This morning it was clear to me: to use the rail pass I bought ( which was good for 7 days of travel but I'd only used it for 4 ).  I could travel freely with it so I decided to go to Versailles. Unfortunately the entire population of the north of France  also decided to go there today!  Mon dieu!  I found it would be an absolute pain to fight the crowds inside the palace, so I decided to just get the ticket for the gardens. ( I've seen the inside several times before so this was Ok). It was a good way to spend a few hours of a Sunday afternoon. I wanted to beat the din of people getting back into Paris, so I left early and returned to the Latin quarter to have a late lunch --or early dinner of raclette!  From there I walked back to "my" neighborhood by the Gare de Lyon via the promenade along the Seine river. There were the booksellers etc along the sidewalk, reminding me I was in Paris, then at one point I walked down to the riverside where there was an area of sculptures en plein air.  Suddenly I heard music and saw a group of people gathered next to the river , and they were dancing the tango!  I recall that Joan, Jolene & I saw this in the south of France before: some locals get together on Sunday afternoons to practice their tango. It was wonderful-- the highlight of my day.
I returned to my hotel, turned on the tv & found a concert with French classical music ( Ravel & Bizet) so I got a private concert to accompany my writing .😊

The clocks changed here today so it got dark an hour earlier, but that was ok. I walked all day except for the train time, so returning to my room was fine.  
Tomorrow afternoon I'll go to the airport Sheraton where I'll stay tomorrow night, so my trip is almost over.  I've packed a lot in and feel very satisfied with all I got to do. And it will be good to get home again to see my Swedie and puppy!  
This is probably my last posting from my trip to France & Switzerland.  Thanks for letting me share it with you.  ðŸ˜Š
Jane 

No comments:

Post a Comment