Saturday, September 3, 2022

Saturday Sept. 3. Telluride

 A few words not about film. I was assuming most people would wear a mask indoors.  Wrong.  The 4 of us did.  But is seems less than 1/4 did.  My reaction: good thing there wasn’t a pandemic in Colorado (duh).  The weather is fantastic.  Low ~50; high in 70s.  I’m feeling 95% back to normal.  Happy.  Please forgive typos in my posts  as I am often writing on the fly. 

As always, there are films we miss.  But we don’t feel too bad if they are ones we will have access to at home.  Best example here is Ken Burns’ “The U.S. and the Holocaust.”  It’s scheduled to air in September on PBS, so we can see it soon.  

Today’s lineup:

1. “Women Talking” which I saw Thursday but the others saw today.  That allowed me to have a leisurely morning. I was glad the others also liked this one. 

2. “Bardo, False Chronicle of a Handful of Truths.”  Written/directed  and by  AlejandroGonzalez Inarritu (sorry I can’t insert the correct accent marks in his name).  He’s the director of “Birdman, Babel, The Revenant, all films we saw here previously.  He’s a Mexican and this is the first film he’s set in Mexico for many years.  Focus is on a journalist who after a long absence, returns to his hometown, Mexico City but finds he is torn between 2 worlds. (Clearly autobiographical to me, as Innaritu now resides in L.A.).  So a lot of people didn’t like this one but I did.  It was very long, sometimes just a string of metaphors, but I found it imaginative and thought-provoking.  I liked it.

3. “Bones and All”  The program notes say: that this film “puts the American movie myth of the tragic young couple-on-the-run through astonishing changes.”  Cast includes Timothy Chalamet, Taylor Russell, Mark Rylance, Chloe Sevigny.  So——- the program didn’t tell us that several of the characters were cannibals.  OMG!!!  I lasted about 15 minutes and walked out.  Turns out that was really the right thing to do.  It got much worse.  SKIP this one!! Unless horror is your genre.

4. “Broker” is a South Korean film by Hirokazu Kore-eda.  The story is about 2 lovable con men who steal abandoned newborns to sell to adoptive parents.  The story focuses on one mother who gives up her baby and the complex backstory.  The film-makers & actors were those involved in “Parasite” which of course won best picture Academy Award.  It was excruciatingly slow paced.  Painful at times.  But the story was interesting and it was a good film.  

So, just 3 today.  Could have seen more but I am pacing myself.  

Overall we feel this year is not as good ( so far ) compared to previously.  Two more full days to go.  

No comments:

Post a Comment