Sunday, September 6, 2015

Sunday Sept 6

I'm always sad Sunday night because it means the festival is almost over. But one more day tomorrow.
I realize in yesterday's post I didn't make it clear that I did like all the movies. By the end of today I've seen 10 and I cannot say any of them were not worthwhile.

So today's 4 were:
1. Black Mass-- perhaps the most commercial & well publicized before the festival. It's about notorious Boston gangster of the 70s and 80s: Jimmy " Whitey" Bulger, played by Johnny Depp, who unfortunately was not here.  His acting was superb. Also in cast : Kevin Bacon, Benedict Cumberbatch, et al.
2. Mom & Me-- a heartwarming documentary about men & their relationships with their mothers. I'd highly recommend this one.
3. Time to Choose-- a powerful documentary about global warming.  Wow. Amazing. The good news is while it shows how many ways we have messed up the planet, it also shows positive changes that are being made & gives hope we can improve things if we take things seriously. Well done. Their website provides recommendations: Timetochoose.com. I hope it will be seen as widely as An Inconvenient Truth was.
4. Tikkun--Set in  Jerusalem, it focuses on the life of an adolescent teen who is an Hasidic student struggling with his faith and coming of age.  By far the most artsy film I saw this year, it's quite interesting and artistic.

It appears I'll get in 3 more tomorrow, making my total 13.  Not bad for a long weekend!
Jane

No comments:

Post a Comment