Friday, August 30, 2013

Day 2 Friday

We finished too late last night for me to write about the rest of the day. So here it is.  In the afternoon the Patrons & Sponsors had a private screening of Labor Day, a Jason Reitman film. The acting -- Kate Winsket & Josh Brolin was terrific & the story was compelling. It was very well received & a good start to the festival. After the film was the opening day "feed"--  a barbecue for all pass holders. The official first event then was a 2 hr tribute to Robert Redford.  He was honored for his 50+ years in film.  A well-done collection of clips from many of his movies & interesting interview w him.

Today started in a fantastic way!  Alexander Payne's ( director) movie Nebraska starring Bruce Dern. It's a story about a father & son (Will Forte) & their journey to Nebraska. I adored it! Very much a nod to the Midwest & small towns. Places & people reminded me of a certain Minnesota region!  After it was an interview with Dern & Payne  conducted by Jason Reitman .  It was the best interview!  e.g. Dern said Payne told him on the first day of shooting not to show anything--- but to let us discover it.

Next we saw Gloria, a Chilean film about a 50+ divorcee looking for herself & fulfillment. I thought it was very well done & entertaining.

Next we saw Before the Winter Chill -- a French film that will be called Avant l'hiver--- when released in France. Kristen Scott Thomas starred.  I love her.  It was a story about a married couple whose life becomes predictable that suddenly turns into a kind of Fatal Attraction story. I found it to be interesting.

Next we went to Under the Skin. I won't try to explain it cuz I left it after 1/2 hour.  Might be on,y the 2nd one I ever left in my 8 yrs coming here.

 I then went alone to see a French documentary called La Maison de la Radio--- about French public radio behind the scenes.  I really enjoyed it for the music, scenes of working with the radio personalities about their vocal production/ performance, and for the French!  I recall that unlike the US, French students are not required to take public speaking :-).

It was a good day.  And we still have 3 more full days to go! Wish I could write more but it's very late.

No comments:

Post a Comment