Today began as yesterday did with another tribute-- this time to Sandra Huller. She was in the film that I saw Thursday called "fatherland", and we also saw her last year in "anatomy of a fall". She has been getting a lot of work lately and a lot of deserved acclaim. We saw a reel of clips from her films and then there was an interview with her. She's a very interesting person in person. At one point, the interviewer asked her about being in "zone of interest". That was a film about the family of the commandant of a concentration camp and how they lived their carefree normal life in very close proximity to the concentration camp. Sandra said that as a German, it was particularly difficult to be asked to play this part, but because of her respect for director, she took the role.I also got the impression that she felt it was a story that needed to be told.
Her film that was shown today is called "Rose". It tells the story of a woman in the early 17th century Germany presenting as a man in soldiers clothing who arrives at a village with papers indicating s/he is heir to a Farm that has been left untended for many years. What unfolds is an incredible tale of her living as a man which ultimately leads to some very unfortunate outcomes. The acting and cinematography and story were all very compelling. And it is a bit difficult at times.
The second film today was called " Tenzing". It tells the story of the Serpa who accompanied the first western man ( Edmund Hillary ) to climb/ reach Mount Everest in 1953. This project was evidently a great labor of love and the cast and director were present to give a Q&A discussion after it. This was an Apple production, so I'm pretty sure it will be on Apple TV. I highly recommend it. Starring Tom Hiddleston & Wilum De Foe they were present along with the filmmaker for a discussion after the film. I'm really glad I stayed for that as it was Fascinating information about the filming and the real life story of the people behind this expedition.
The third film was called "the debut". This is required viewing for any of my friends involved in theater in any way! . Paul Giamatti portrays a dictatorial Director of a community theater and Julianne Moore is a mousy housewife who auditions although she's never done a play before. Jessie Eisenberg wrote/ directed it and was here to show it to us as well as the actors who introduced the film to us. Emma Stone was a producer, and she also was present at our screening. I know this will get wide release and it was hysterical on many many levels. Must see!
The fourth film today was a documentary called "Carl Sagan: we are made of star stuff". It was a Nat Geo production so I am hopeful that It will be shown on that channel. Having watched the Cosmo series when it first was on television, I was very curious to see how I would view him and his work so many years later. Well, it was absolutely compelling and I Was so happy that I went to see it. The story focused on the life of Carl Sagan and was an excellent summary of all of his work. We also got a good look at his personal life and many people being interviewed for the film where his wife and several of his many children. This is really worthwhile and speaks to today in the sense that he foretold a time in the future, when people ignored science in favor of following demagogues. He warned of nuclear disaster and climate change too. I think it's a must see film.
No comments:
Post a Comment