Sunday, November 1, 2015

Nov 1 Florence

It's our last day in Florence.  Off to Venice by train tomorrow.

Our day began with an excellent lecture by a professor about Florence's history and the Medici family. Once again I was very interested in the content and again it helped tie together the art, the history &  architecture  in new ways. Having read about these works & places is one thing but visiting them is incredible. The videos that friend Jackie loaned me to watch in the last month really set the stage for me.

This afternoon was free for the travelers ( Roger calls us "Roadies") to do as they choose. I met up with former Academic Senate colleague Richard & his wife.  He is teaching a semester abroad through his college. It was wonderful to see them!  I wasn't interested in going to more galleries so we went to the Pitti  Palace to see their gardens. This was another beautiful, sunny day --- perfect for strolling through gardens. High atop the hill behind the palace we had a super view of the city and environs.  Got some nice pix. All the while we were catching up on the last couple years since we worked together. This was a welcomed change of pace.

I have not worn a Fitbit here but my IPhone keeps track of the daily steps & tells how many flights of stairs we take.  Oh my!!!   Today was 15,500 steps and the equivalent of 30 floors climbed!!  The other night the 6 people at the  table were discussing their exercise routines & all work out regularly-- not surprising as that is needed for this kind of trip. It seems that nearly everyone is in their 60s or 70s with 2 who announced that they are 85!! Incredible!

I noticed the group dynamics of this group & mentioned to our group leader how interesting it is to observe everyone. She was curious to understand  more about that topic so I think I'll share some group theory with her. We are sitting together on the train tomorrow.

Florence has been super. As everyone promised, it's lovely and easy to get around. I now understand its attraction.

Can't believe I'll be home next Saturday!

Jane

No comments:

Post a Comment